Everywhere or rather every account that I see has a cover for their Insta stories. Arranged in different categories or parts of their life with extremely aesthetically pleasing covers (in most cases). And to be honest, those covers give an extra ‘oomph’ for the already amazing instagram feed.
I recently created one for myself too, because, why not. (I’m trying to maintain a theme for my Insta feed, keyword ‘trying’.) This can be done by using 2 apps – Photoshop and Canva. Canva would be much easier option if you’re using your Phones and Photoshop is better on computers.
I used Photoshop to create my Insta story covers which you can see over here @ventingthoughtsblog (self-promo)
Things to keep in mind while creating a cover:
- Make sure that the colours you use are complementary to your theme if you have any and if you don’t, you do you boo.
- Try to keep it as minimalistic as possible.
- If you have a plain background, try to go for bright and colourful icons. And if you have a pattern as your background, go for a white or black or a single coloured icon which will complement your background.
- You can always count on Pinterest for some inspiration.
That’s all, because it’s not really rocket science to have that many “rules”.
Steps to create a cover:
- Select a blank canvas of dimension 1080 x 1920
- Now for background, to get the marble effect as I have done on my cover, you can download a brush from Brusheezy . These are the Photoshop brushes which can be used to create many patterns. I have demonstrated how to download and use the brushes in a previous blog post – How To Create The Watercolour Effect For Your Blog Banner/ Header.
- Select the colour that you wish for, as I have selected blue here. And use it to create the background.
- Next, I used the flamingo brushes to stamp those 2 flamingos on my cover to get that summer feel. You can download the flamingo brush from here.
- Next comes the icons. Select the appropriate icon for a category. For e.g. you can use A suitcase, a plane or a car for Travel category; any kind of food for Food category, a top or dress for OOTD; palm trees, flowers, beach for natural photos category; you can also use social media icons for the respective social media photos or links. You can find the icons in png format from Google. You just have to “Place” it on your background (File → Place). Adjust the icon in the center.
- You can take inspiration from this cover and improvise however you want 🙂
I hope you find this useful and make sure to send me your covers if you try to make one. I would love to see it. Hope you have a lovely day, filled with amazing Instagram stories of your own. And follow me on all my socials –
If you haven’t already check out my last post about my Graduation Day look and follow my blog for more interesting and fun posts.
Until next time,